I am follow a quest to lower my caffeine. To a point I feel I have succeeded. I apparently shocked my doctor with my caffeine intake.
That many cans of diet Coke a Day?
In my defense… I am thirsty.
All. The. Time.
Her point was that it could be making my profound insomnia worse and possibly causing the heart irregularities I have been having. Blah, blah, blah. Did I say, I was thirsty? I think I mentioned that.
Right, right, she has a valid point. I got down to 5 cans of diet coke a day, during the day, and none in the evening. And I have determined:
- Yes, it does in fact worsen my insomnia to drink caffeine right up to bed. Not as much as one might Think, but it does. I am naturally tired a 2AM and with consistent caffeine use I am tired at 4AM.
- And… it does indeed stop the palpitations I get when I go to bed, but not the other heart issues I have been having. So, yes, indeed a massive amount of caffeine does make your heart want to pound out of your chest while you are trying to sleep.
I should note… reduce the caffeine Slowly if you are going to attempt this quest. I mean slowly. Infinitely slow. By sips if need be. Otherwise…
But I do need that little bit of caffeine in the day because:
- I need to be able to want to get out of bed.
- Because I do have insomnia and rarely get enough sleep to function… I like the mental boost.
- Otherwise I am angry. Very angry.
- Otherwise I may fall asleep mid-conversation or driving.
- Because I want to, that is why.
What I look like without caffeine:
It possible I will go down further, because she did want me at around 3 a day. Which seems excessive to me. I have after all gone down more than half my intake. Quite a bit more than half. I am not going to say how much I drank a day. Just going to say this: I’m thirsty. Just always thirsty. The caffeine is a lovely brain perk, but I find less of it is just as fine as more. It is the liquids I need consistently. And some caffeine, yes, some.
I feel like most writers exist on lack of sleep and caffeine anyway.